Thread: Treat returning players like the newbies they are.

Default Treat returning players like the newbies they are.

Treat characters restored after many years away (maybe more than 5) the same way newbies are treated with respect to PK’ing and corpse stealing, for some grace period (perhaps 6 months). So much has changed since most of my friends and family quit being active more than 10 years ago. There is a lot to learn/re-learn. There are new challenges - new ways to have fun - that have nothing to do with pk’ing. It would be easier to convince old players to come back and play their former characters if they didn’t have to worry about being lambs for slaughter. Perhaps this feature could be made optional for the player at the point of the character’s restoration.

Upside: Could encourage the return and extended stay of some former players.

Downside: Regular players might restore old characters to just to avoid the thread of PK. Players for whom PKing is the most fun aspect of TFC might have fewer easy targets. There may be a flood of requests to restore old characters, creating an administrative burden.

[I would like to invite some people back and tell them that TFC can be fun and casual.]

Quote Originally Posted by Mael View Post
    Treat characters restored after many years away (maybe more than 5) the same way newbies are treated with respect to PK’ing and corpse stealing, for some grace period (perhaps 6 months). So much has changed since most of my friends and family quit being active more than 10 years ago. There is a lot to learn/re-learn. There are new challenges - new ways to have fun - that have nothing to do with pk’ing. It would be easier to convince old players to come back and play their former characters if they didn’t have to worry about being lambs for slaughter. Perhaps this feature could be made optional for the player at the point of the character’s restoration.

Upside: Could encourage the return and extended stay of some former players.

Downside: Regular players might restore old characters to just to avoid the thread of PK. Players for whom PKing is the most fun aspect of TFC might have fewer easy targets. There may be a flood of requests to restore old characters, creating an administrative burden.

[I would like to invite some people back and tell them that TFC can be fun and casual.]
    Yeah, casual would be key for a lot of the older players to consider it. The investment is too huge otherwise. While I look back fondly on some of the crazy stuff/time/energy we invested into building sets and planning elaborate kills, I certainly would never have time for that again.

Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, United States

I wonder if an item, like a wwp, could be given to a returning char and enchanted with a spell that protected from eq loss during death from mob/pc and set to expire after so many hours of use, like the newbie stick. I also think that bringing back the arena, or some form of it, would help with satisfying some of the pk bloodlust desires.

Perhaps a flag that could be added during a Restore, that sets the player to NOEQLOSS, for a span of 30 hours of play?
    I also wish the arena was back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordir View Post
    Perhaps a flag that could be added during a Restore, that sets the player to NOEQLOSS, for a span of 30 hours of play?
    I also wish the arena was back.
    Love it!