Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Quest Idea - feedback wanted!

Default New Quest Idea - feedback wanted!

I was asking folks for quest ideas, and Dekar chimed in with one that made me laugh hysterically when I got to witness it in action many years ago:

The Floaty Contest

Goal: Players obtain a raft, canoe, or other 'boat' type device, and without entering direction commands, float from the Docks on the Northern Continent, to the shores of the Southern Continent. <BR>

Rules:
    * Quest Conditions would be in effect.
    * Any command, entered by the player, to cause movement to themselves, would be considered a disqualification. This includes FLEEing from mob or player initiated combat.
    * Use of Teleport* spells or items would not be allowed.
    * Use of Fear* spells or items would not be allowed.
    * Use of Summon* spells or items would not be allowed.
    * Player vs Player combat would be allowed. Causing the other individual to FLEE would be a disqualification on their part. Pursuing a fleeing character would be a disqualification on that part of the attacker.

* Any spell that causes the involuntary movement of another - this list may, or may not, be all-inclusive.
    Last edited by Cordir; April 4th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.

I would suggest not allowing people to cast spells that directly affect the movement of others (such as fear). You say causing another individual to flee makes that individual disqualified so this would just quickly lead to many people being disqualified and a lucky cleric (or maybe shaman) would stand alone in the end.

Will invis be allowed?

Ink: Good points. Revised original post to reflect this.
    Rhysling: I would say yes...

sounds like fun

Sounds like winners are based purely on luck. Not a big fan of luck being a primary factor in who wins quests, SKILL and effort should matter more.

I agree with avarice but i would still participate. I motion that perhaps the prize would be something trivial like a restring credit due to the luck factor. Secondly, are we certain that it is even possible?

I participated in this event many years ago and it worked just fine, Kylor. If you are in doubt you can go try it at any time :P

And yes, luck has a lot to do with it, but you have forgotten about the fact that PK will be allowed. If you don't like someone else's luck, just kill them!
    When I participated I remember summon being allowed and that made things much more interesting as well. I don't personally see the harm in summon/portal/fear as long as people aren't using directional movement. It adds to the chaos. But thats just my 2 cents.

What the swarf said.

And hey, I'm perfectly ok with it being more of a free for all: I just generally start out with the most conservative position possible, and allow myself to be nudged and/or encouraged into a more liberal idea.

So basically you go kill someone, then run back to the start and begin your float and hope noone comes and kills you?

nono.... you float along, someone floats into your room, you kill them, and continue floating on your merry way and win!

I am all about the chaos that will occur...just let me know when!
    Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.

Do all players start at the same time from Dock, or from Kitchen?

From the Dock.

Uh, if you think someone's close to the other side, are you allowed to summon them?

so it seems like folks are leaning towards the 'free for all' method being more fun... yes?

if so:
    summon, tele, fear, etc, would all be allowed.

If the Kinder gentler version:

then no

I can't seem to add a Poll to an existing thread, sadly, so... please vote in thread:

1: Free For All: All's fair in love and floating, so any skill or ability goes.

or

2: Sedate Boat Trip: Certain abilities that force movement (fear/teleport/summon) are disallowed.

1. No use of directions EVER... anything else goes.

I agree with Ink

I'll go with option #1.