Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of the locking and unlocking gates at Midgaard

Default Get rid of the locking and unlocking gates at Midgaard

Somewhat tied into the "Midgaard 5.0" post, I'd like to throw out the idea of doing away with the locking and unlocking gates at Midgaard. Only thing it really does is keep the newbies inside when they want to get out.

1. Most folks of high enough level can just do the 'U' 'S' to vortex out to Took
    2. Mages of high enough level can 'c pass' and walk through
    3. Thieves can pick the lock
    Last edited by Tynian; February 26th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

or make is so we can fly over the gate, Like it use to be

I'd be opposed to this. There are still ways to get out of Midgaard without using the gates or the vortex.

^ yeah, they're cool! (they being the gates locking/unlocking).
    Last edited by Anduin; February 18th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.

if there are so many ways to get out of midguaard then way change it.

I'm not agreeing with the idea, but I wouldn't exactly classify the River Fastwater as a newbie friendly exit... East is small aggro snakes that make it just as likely you'll be "On the Wet Rocks" as in Thistlerock. West requires a really long way around through Tharlodrin's, or through the maze of grass, or through Shadowed Valley -- uh, right.

Can't we just give the 'skies of mg' on ONE level, or just over the gates? Give a newbie the option of quaffing a fly potion or getting the spell, and getting up and over. I'm guessing the bug that got it removed was just the snowfall getting dispelled and falling on top of the vortex, and never hitting ground, right? (Unless there was another sky bug)...if you took everything above the first layer and just cut it out, that fixes the issue as well, as on that level you have to fly around the vortex anyway...

Otherwise, yeah, I wouldn't call the other exits from mg on the river newbie friendly myself...and mg can be a really crazy place to level (lizard swamps is safer for first time players....case in point? Belsambar (I) never left mg and got so beat up by cityguards he had 29k for level 10 mage.)
    -=SuicideMage=-

"Post quick-reply? I'm sorry, I am just completely incapable..."

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyrdain View Post
    I'm not agreeing with the idea, but I wouldn't exactly classify the River Fastwater as a newbie friendly exit... East is small aggro snakes that make it just as likely you'll be "On the Wet Rocks" as in Thistlerock. West requires a really long way around through Tharlodrin's, or through the maze of grass, or through Shadowed Valley -- uh, right.
    west also leads to harpers landing, another human town.

Quote Originally Posted by morgaine View Post
    west also leads to harpers landing, another human town.
    Yes, and Harpers has a NFR of Hard, I believe, for the reasons I gave (Grass, Vein, Shadow - not to mention Gertek and Vile Rune).

Clear potions are pass-door. Just a hint to the frustrated people who are getting "stuck" in mg.....

You going to keep the pit stocked with clear potions for the true newbies? Are people making efforts to unlock the gates when one has an issue? Is anyone even paying attention when a low level has gate issues?

Something I'd like to point out, I've been noticing that MG has been having problems getting unlocked at times, it'll skip days without opening, despite the mayor shouting about it. Very confusing when it happens.
    -=SuicideMage=-

Blog Entries

There was a period of time when the gates were unlocked...and a lot of the boss mobs weren't on...(like the mayor to lock the gates). i thought this took a bit away from the play. if you can't wait for the gates to get open, and can't get them open yourself, get someone else to help you with it. This is a minor challenge that adds to gameplay and gives new players some sense of the kind of things they're gonna run into once they get out into the realms. imagine the frustration of the poor newbie who discovers that doors can be locked only after being summoned into a locked room!

in short: leave it alone.

-

Maybe add exits from the river into the Haon'dor west of MG, and the Lightwood forest to the east, before the rapids?

Blog Entries

um, you can get into the river from the forest west of mg (just can't exit TO it) and you can avoid the (boat crushing) rapids to the east already.

-

maybe leave a rope hanging down from the tree to give an up exit in hannon dor? *shrug* do we really need this?

The rapids aren't the problem to the east, it's the current + aggo sanke + 1 hp room =

Here's a solution I would at least like from a story perspective... Give the gate guards a special function where they would let humans (or possibly MG citizens) out of the city based on a certain action -- maybe a 'tell guard <something>'?

I don't necessarily think it needs to change so much as just be able to fly over them as before. If the gates were opening as they were supposed to it'd be one thing, but this 'closing on random days' thing MG and TP are doing right now gets old quick
    -=SuicideMage=-

If I remember correctly the flying was pretty bugged (although that COULD have just been for the flying over MG part, maybe not for the gates). For my own part, I kind of like the flavour of NPC's doing things on their own - I think I'd like to see more of it, honestly. Maybe just reduce the amount of time during which the gates are locked?

if this is really a big issue, I think it would be easier to have filthy sell a key then restructuring the zone code.

Aye. I don't think it's a big issue anyway, Morg.

I actually played a mortal for a short time, a little while back. She lived in MG. It was a pain in the butt. Having someone (filthy?) sell a key or having some means to get out of town, would be helpful. Even if it's buying a fly potion and having an exit route over the gates.