Thread: Pre-Announcement of Nothing Specific to Announce

Blog Entries

Default Pre-Announcement of Nothing Specific to Announce

As you may have noticed, I've been around a lot more lately. I've been working on code, fixing bugs, and annoying mortals. Depending on your point of view, this may be a good or bad thing. I'm happy to finally have some time to hang out. There was a time when I wondered if I would ever really be around again.

Since my return, I've noticed a continuing decline in the player base, and specifically, the number of characters that are online at any given time.

One day, TFC will no longer exist. We will shut down, and go into the great nothingness.

But that day will not be today, and it will not be tomorrow.

I believe that TFC still has some life in it. Part of my conviction stems from player loyalty. Yes, the numbers are down, but what I see is players that have played TFC for years, and are still around (or coming back). That kind of staying power suggests that TFC is a game worth investing in.

The key to TFC's continuing success can be broken down into two obvious pieces: 1) Retaining our current loyal players, and 2) finding and bringing in new players, getting them interested in the game, and retaining them. It's obvious, but not necessarily easy.

As for me, I am working on TFC Version 5, which I hope will freshen up the game, and make things a little more dynamic for our more experienced players. The trick is updating the game to keep it interesting, while not changing it so dramatically that it leaves the existing players in shock.

I'm not ready to talk specifics at this point. The changes aren't set in stone. In fact, I expect that my plans will evolve over time. I may try some things that just don't work out when we test. Or, a better idea may come along.

If you have a change idea that you'd like considered, please post it to "The Next Great Idea" forum. If an idea already been posted, but was neither accepted nor rejected, feel free to post to it.

Thanks for playing!

Blog Entries

Default TFC

Hi Tynian,

Version 5 - Cool !!!

Let me know if I can help .... once I finish my area !!
    Boromir
    Lord of the Nexus

Tynian,

Reviving a relatively old thread here just because I want to say that sometimes people can't be around due to reasons beyond their control (ie, being on Deployment and not having the ability to log on to the mud), but we'll keep coming back, because TFC is like...a second home to us. Thank you for all your hard work, and continued dedication to making TFC an exciting place to visit. Looking forward to getting back to where I can log on to the mud and not just the forums! (not to mention seeing V5!!) I will say that it is nice to be able to see the forums and see whats going on on the newspage and whatnot...a bit confusing sometimes (like Kylor dying? No forum post? *ponder*) but nice none-the-less.

Thanks again,

Eathor/(etc etc...)

Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind words!

I look forward to seeing you around again.

alot of older players are coming back over the last few days and not from just one group but from several. this combined with our recent mud connector standings and the promise of new zones and a new version has prompted me to bump this thread so all the come-backers can read it.

Blog Entries

Default Mini-update

I am planning on incorporating a scripting language into TFC, which should allow for more flexible mob and quest scripting. Lua is my choice for the task, so I've been learning Lua. It's taking a while, but it is time well spent.

Will that also mean more capabilities for the area writer? I realize I may be beating a dead horse here (see Expanding the Area Writer's Toolbox).

Being able to do some relatively simple things as an area writer would be a huge impetus for me (and I hope others) to craft new and interesting zones.

Kaern
    Last edited by kaern; March 3rd, 2011 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks for your time and dedication to the game, Tyn. None of this would exist without you.

Blog Entries

Special function creation and as a quest implementation are the primary motivations for integrating Lua, Kaern. How useful it'll be will obviously depend on how well I integrate it. Lua is new to me, and I want to get it right... especially the core integration.

During my research, I found that other MUDs have successfully integrated Lua, and Lua is also evidently the scripting engine for WoW. Pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for the kind words. Nice seeing you around, Kaern.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynian View Post
    and Lua is also evidently the scripting engine for WoW. Pretty cool stuff.
    Nice. We're entering the big time! I'm counting the days until we have to deal with Chinese golding bots and TFC gold selling websites. I'm excited to see what a TFC authenticator looks like.

(writing up my Chinese golding-bot program tonight)