View RSS Feed

Natilena

Must… Make… Blog… Post…

Rate this Entry
I haven’t done so well at this blog posting thing lately. Sometimes I’m all wordy and you can’t shut me up but lately I struggled with coming up with interesting things to say and how to say it. I have probably 6 or 7 failed starts, not that you care.. it doesn't get you your updates!

Fall has passed and we’re now into the depths of winter. Much has been accomplished but I think the most enjoyable part was seeing my son and his friend experience the game for the first time followed shortly by Tynian’s kids experiencing the same. Along with just being funny watching them try to figure it out, it was a valuable learning experience for me to see the game through completely fresh eyes. Much of what I've taken away from the experience will drive one of my pet projects for v5 which is overhauling the introduction to the game and the newbie experience. In anticipation of this design we've already been capturing all of the failed newbie commands for the first level over a good time frame now. The idea is to be able to get a feel for what is being entered incorrectly so we can nudge some of the instruction to manage the experience better. What I really learned from seeing the kids play is how much longer past the first level it took them to figure out the most basic of commands, especially “flee”. Ugh!

I've gotten a lot done on v5 the past few months and now with the holidays and my lovely 2 week vacation (in warm places with sun and sand) is over (followed by sickness that decided it wanted to come home with me) it’s time to get back to work. I’ll admit that sometimes I get a little frustrated hearing info’s complaining that nothing ever changes or the small non-game changing bug someone reported hasn't been fixed yet but I’m sticking to my priorities and that is v5. Every time I touch anything in v4 it actually creates double the delay for v5 in the long run. Not only is it time I could have been spending on v5 used for v4 but near the end all of the changes for v4 that were made after the code was branched will have to be re-integrated into the changed v5.

You know, if I tried harder to do these blog posts more often maybe it wouldn't have to be as long as this one has turned out to be!

I guess I can give a short run down of some of what I've accomplished in v5 since I'm here. All of the stuff to do with practices has been torn out, redesigned and implemented. Functions around level advancement have been picked apart and cleaned up along with adding support for the changes I made to practices, skills and spells. Skills/spells are now using a secondary stat in fun and exciting ways. Had quite a bit of fun removing the ancient vt100 color support and updating it. Added a new path-finding feature aimed at helping newbies get around. Fixed a whole bunch of blatantly broken things like none of the communication channels working, dropped items disappearing, items in containers not working properly and so on. And yes.. I went ahead and added a donate to pit command. :S

Next big steps for me are finishing the design work on Immortals and Followings and beginning the design for the New Player experience.

Hope everyone’s holidays were happy and healthy and *cheers* for the same over the New Year.

//Nati

The legal stuff: This does not mean it will happen, this does not mean it'll be in v5, this does not mean it’s a rule or a policy, this does not mean it’s about a specific person (except in certain cases), this is not intended to call out anyone, this does not mean anyone but ME thinks this way, this is not always the opinion of the other God+ staff, this doesn't mean that I'll finish what I started, this does not mean anything more than I happened to be pondering something. k thx bai!

Submit "Must… Make… Blog… Post…" to Digg Submit "Must… Make… Blog… Post…" to del.icio.us Submit "Must… Make… Blog… Post…" to StumbleUpon Submit "Must… Make… Blog… Post…" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Pondering , v5 , Newbies

Comments

Nati, you rock! Much appreciated on the update, and hope ya'll are over your tag-along sickness!
    What?! You can respond to these? Ink was here.

(Oh, and thanks for your hard work Nati!)

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: