View RSS Feed

Natilena

Protocols! Protocols Everywhere!

Rate this Entry
The next update from me will bring us into the era of 2002-ish! Yay! There are a lot of features in the various mud clients out there that we have not made great use of over the years. The biggest of this is the out of band protocols that let the mud send and trigger actions inside of the different mud clients. “Why bother!”, you must be saying to yourself, “I’d rather have a fancy new spell or feature!”. Well, you might be right but I’ve gone with it anyway! Mwahaha!

The implementation of these is fairly light right now. Just some basics that I felt we had a need for or I have plans to use in future updates. The biggest issue with the various different protocols is the inconsistency in how they are used by the different client software. It is almost impossible for me to test all of the variations. This means I'll be looking for some help!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...otocol_support

We'll start with MXP. MXP is Mud Extension Protocol and was originally proposed by Zugg (of Zuggsoft). It has wandered far from its original intentions, not even CMUD implements it as described in the specification. We'll be using it for its ability to provide clickable links in the client interface. This is a feature extendable into all areas where text is displayed including help files and areas. When the update is installed you'll mostly see it in help files and the Exits: line where you can now click that 'North' instead of the huge pain of typing an 'n'.

Code:
Turning On (or Off) MXP support in popular clients.

CMUD
Click 'Options' in the toolbar and then click 'General'.  The Preferences window
 will open, click the 'MXP' tab.  Click 'Force remote MXP' to enable.

MUSHclient
Click 'Game' in the toolbar and find the 'configure' menu option.  Click the 
'MXP/Pueblo' menu item.  On the 'Use MXP/Pueblo' menu choose 'Yes - always'.

Mudlet
Click 'Settings' in the toolbar and then click the 'Special Options' tab.  UNcheck 
the box for 'Force MXP negotiation off'.

Next up is colors. There are lots and lots more to choose from. I haven't yet converted the in game color system to completely use the new color spectrum but that will come soon. For now I've just added a few splashes of color in help files and the opening screen and it's looking pretty awesome in Mudlet so far. The use of color is also available to area writers but I will insist that its use is well thought out and purposeful. There is nothing worse than a mud that displays the rainbow...

Lastly is a barebones implementation of MSDP. TFC will negotiate that it will do MSDP but the only variables currently being sent are basic things like hitpoint and mana status. I'm looking for a few people who are very good with their client and would be willing to work with me to make this feature usable and create documentation for others to use (find me by email nati@tfcmud.com, PM or in game!). I looked briefly at creating event handlers in Mudlet to do it myself and decided.. maybe another day! It is not for the faint of heart.

//Nati
The (updated) legal stuff: This does not mean it will happen, this does not mean it'll be in v5, this does not mean it’s a rule or a policy, this does not mean it’s about a specific person (except in certain cases), this is not intended to call out anyone, this does not mean anyone but ME thinks this way, this is not always the opinion of the other God+ staff, this doesn't mean that I'll finish what I started, this does not mean anything more than I happened to be pondering something. k thx bai!

Submit "Protocols!  Protocols Everywhere!" to Digg Submit "Protocols!  Protocols Everywhere!" to del.icio.us Submit "Protocols!  Protocols Everywhere!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Protocols!  Protocols Everywhere!" to Google

Tags: mspd, mxp, protocols Add / Edit Tags
Categories
v5

Comments

MXP and colors? cool!!! not so sure about MSDP .. then again I've not read anything about it ...

currently running zmud 7.21 :-)
    great work!
    You should contact Mutex. He is a mudlet pro and always seems to be looking for another project

Very cool stuff Nati!
    Awesome! The colors sound great and scary...there is something headache-inducing about the rainbow puke.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: