View RSS Feed

Tynian

What Happened to Version 5, and What Happens Now?

Rate this Entry
At the end of 2010, I boldly announced that I was working on Version 5. I put many hours into Version 5 at the end of 2010 and for much of 2011. Then my life got busy, and I never really got back to Version 5 in earnest, although Natilena continued working on it over the next couple of years.

I started developing Version 5 as its own standalone project because I had big changes planned. In addition, I had the time and motivation to hammer out code. Version 5 development was supposed to be relatively short-term. I expected implementation, testing, and “go live” in less than one year.

The Version 5 project is now 3 years old. As it stands, that project is no longer viable, so we are abandoning it.

Version 5 will go forward in the same way we implemented Version 4. Instead of unveiling Version 5 all at once in its entirety, we will introduce Version 5 changes into the current version, as they are implemented. When the last major piece is implemented, I will bump the version number to 5.

Implementing in this way has a couple of key advantages. First, you’ll get to see changes sooner, since you aren’t waiting for us to finish the whole thing. Second, troubleshooting issues will be simplified. Since the changes are being introduced in smaller pieces, it will be easier to track down and correct problems.

There are also some challenges. I still plan on some fundamental changes. Some of these may cause some consternation in the short term, but I feel are important for long term viability. The changing landscape will certainly mean adaptation. I encourage you to keep an open mind and be flexible.

The introduction of dreams was the first bit of Version 5 introduced into the live game. You’ll soon be seeing other changes.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Submit "What Happened to Version 5, and What Happens Now?" to Digg Submit "What Happened to Version 5, and What Happens Now?" to del.icio.us Submit "What Happened to Version 5, and What Happens Now?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What Happened to Version 5, and What Happens Now?" to Google

Updated April 28th, 2014 at 08:13 AM by Tynian

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Version 5

Comments

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this (and Nati too!). I look forward to the changes
    Sounds like a great plan to me!! Rock on!!

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: