View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Awarding Experiences

I recently implemented an awards system that is currently being tested in the live game. If you have logged in within the past couple of weeks, you have probably received some awards, particularly for time spent online and character anniversaries (years since character was created).

The idea behind the awards system is to give people goals to accomplish, if they are so inclined, and to recognize those accomplishments. The awards thus far are easily measured, and were by and large ...
    Categories
    Version 5
  2. (Re-)Factoring in Diversions

I was hanging out visible online last night, and someone asked me whether random sanctuary potions were still popping, because he hasn't seen any for months. I didn't have anything else going on at that moment, so I looked into it. By and by, random sanctuary potions still pop - I found one last night.

As part of my investigation, I also looked at the code responsible for creating random potions. It was written circa '93/'94, and it's a mess. The more I looked at it, the more ...
    Categories
    Version 5
  3. Manatov Cocktail

I will soon be changing mana so that it is a "calculated" value, much like how hit points are now calculated. I have not begun the coding. I've instead been working on the math. As most of you are aware, mana gains can be all over the place. It's extreme randomness driven people to drink, after experiencing one bad gain after another. Given the swings in mana gains, there is quite a large difference between those that are well endowed and those that are mana anemic. This has led to a situation ...
    Categories
    Version 5
  4. Season of Change - It's a Marathon, not a Sprint

I know that some of you are planning gear changes, with the upcoming "all attributes to 25" change. A few days ago, one of the players asked whether the change was likely to be permanent, since that impacts planning. It was a good question, and I wanted to share my thoughts with everyone.

There are advantages to putting version 5 changes in as we code them, as opposed to working on a complete version 5 and releasing the changes all at once. First, the players see that changes are ...
    Categories
    Version 5
  5. Spell Items, Racial Stats, and Hit Points

I have been concerned about area-loaded spell objects. As long timers may remember, I prefer that class-specific spells be used by the classes the spells are designed for, and the number of spell objects has grown dramatically over time. As such, it is my intention to limit the number of these items that are available from areas. While I believe that spell objects should be available, Id prefer that random items primarily fill the primary role. Unfortunately, my limited items change made these ...
    Categories
    Version 5
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast