PDA

View Full Version : Spells

Eilir
December 3rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
A useful addition to the newbie help guides that the TFC website and Solaron have offered would be a detailed description of spells and all of their uses, in regards to its use in a PK or anything else that the spell could be used for. The help files on TFC aren't very specific...for instance, Sanctuary. The spell description doesn't specifically describe everything that that spell does for a character. I understand the idea that newbies should figure these things out for themselves...but the same could be said for anything else in those newbie guides. I, for one, would find it very useful. Maybe someone could include certain items, too...like spheres. I don't really understand their use, as I've never had a high enough level character to use them and I'm very curious about them.

Anyway, I just think this would make a nice addition should someone have the time and patience to do this.

Comments?
,Eilir

Flue
December 11th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I'd counsel against this. The people who know and understand spells, skills and objects have acquired their knowledge the hard way - either by exploration and experimentation (which comes with a risk of death) or by befriending others who could explain stuff. Figuring out stuff is half the fun of the mud, especially when you discover something strange and manage to get to the bottom of it, or you discover something that very few others know. Knowledge is also key to PKing (or avoiding it).

I wouldn't object to some neat tips & tricks pages, especially aimed at newbies (i.e. lower level stuff) but I don't like the idea of a detailed manual for all spells, skills and objects. Perhaps an immortal could get to vet what should and shouldn't be in such a page.

Flue

Anandunaiss
December 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
i agree with Flue in that probably only lower level spells should get the full rundown and just a brief descricption of some higher level ones since that is part of the fun of learning new spells, so those kind of descriptions could go on the TFC website, but i must also add that Pol's wiki site is a player started site so im all for full info on that since it would be entirely voluntary and independent decision for players to put full spell/item descritptions there since the wiki is a player made site related to TFC. (ie the wiki is about but i guess not "officially" a TFC website, its players helping players)

Treehugger
February 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Also, don't hesitate to ask if you're online. Obviously it's ridiculous to ask "So can anyone explain to me the affects of every spell in the game?" but if you have a question about a specific spell, I'd more often than not be happy to explain briefly what they do. Not that I know every spell in the game, but I can give you a decent explanation of most of them.

Anandunaiss
February 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Agreed. Also note that most other muds that I have played do not have any more information in their spell help files than we do, and i'm talking about muds that are completely open about stats, effects etc. It might be easier to look at your score and see how your stats changed after casting a spell, but you have to do that yourself, you wont find that in the help file. and besides, the effects of 'armor' or 'magic missile' should be fairly familiar to anyone playing a mud since muds cater to a specific knowledge set (mainly RPG/D&D style)

Gertrude
February 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I am not sure why everything has to be obtained threw some arccane knowledge
there are guildmasters who should be able to give some knowledge. why someone needs to dedecate there life to this seems abit over the top.

Tynian
February 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Wow. Who has to dedicate their life to play a game?

Onions have layers. TFC has layers. We could strip out all the layers, but I am of the opinion that the layers keep the players engaged with the game longer than if they knew everything about everything just by reading a Book of Answers.

The game is playable without in-depth knowledge of the mechanics. Will you get the "ultimate" character without understanding the underlying mechanics? No. Nor should you.

Gertrude
February 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
you know ogres are like onions

I dont care much for them either.

its your game and it is fun I enjoy it

but 40 50 hours of game time is a huge amount and that will not get anyone to level 30 in a sigle class character and when you have dedicated that amout of time only to find out you blew it at level 5 some dont feel like starting over

I am just offering an oppinion to help gain popularity for a game I enjoy.
I havent played for the long and i may suggest stupid things and I may come off badly.

but my intentions are to help I assusmed that was the purpose of this but if i am treated like a idiot or wasting everyones time I just wont bother to "contribute'' relative term

Tynian
February 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
You were offering an opinion. I was offering an opinion.

We have a difference of opinions. It is unfortunate that expressing my point of view has left you feeling as though you are being treated like an idiot.

But I do disagree with your point as you have expressed it.

Gertrude
February 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
maybe i am too sesitive sorry

Remwar
February 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
The trick to building player base imo, isn't help files or making the code more user friendly. I would imagine all of us TFC'ers have 10-100 family, friends, and gamer friends from other gaming outlets. Informing these folks of TFC and nuturing them through early levels is the most effective way to get people "hooked". Most gamers interested in this genre already understand what basic attributes represent, as well as class and spell types. The gamers we are interested in having and being good players are the ones who will channel -advice because Algenara annoys them! :>

boromir
February 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hi,

I'm kinda torn on this one.

Thinking back to my first character. (yeah yeah ok, way way back) :D I could have used a description of the spells I was learning at levels 1 - 5.

On the other hand, this is not supposed to be that easy a game to play. And that is as it should be. ::up::

Given a choice, expand the descriptions of the spells between levels 1 and 5 to provide a little more, just a little more information. Any details on spells etc past level 5 would be learned by the 'Umm' method. As in 'Ummm, does anyone know what this spells does...really?'.

Your considered opinions! ::up::

Azeworai
February 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
U know i knew of a website from long agoooooooo it was foolkiller's website it had info on everything... i have it all saved hahahhaha

but yea long ago these things existed

Cirth
February 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
A newbie should only need to understand the principles of the game mechanics, not the details. Like: high Con gives you more HP or Sanctuary significantly reduces the damage you take. As long as these basic guidelines stay true the newbie will be fine.